Safety and Training
Safety is our top priority for all Lenawee Habitat Volunteers, and we need your commitment to work safely—for your own safety and the safety of those around you. At the beginning of each build day, construction site supervisors will review all safety rules with you, but we also encourage you to review the information on this page prior to volunteering, to help you come to the site prepare to be safe.
What to wear:
- Closed-toed shoes (tennis shoes, work boots, etc.) No flip-flops, sandals or slippers.
- Comfortable, weather-appropriate clothing (which may get dirty or covered in paint – be prepared in case your clothing is permanently damaged on site).
- Optional: a hat and/or sunglasses.
What to bring:
- A completed and signed waiver of liability. All minors must have their waivers signed by a parent or guardian.
- A refillable water bottle.
Habitat will provide:
- All tools and supplies – including work gloves, hard hats and safety glasses. If you bring any of your own tools or equipment, please label them with your name.
- A water cooler.
- A first aid kit in case of emergency.
Volunteers must be at least 18 years of age to volunteer in active construction. Youth volunteer groups are welcome at our ReStore or at some small construction projects. Please see our Age Requirements for further details.